Google announces restriction of Gmail with third-party services
- From June 2022, Gmail mailboxes can no longer be accessed via mailbox.org
- Use the free relocation service
- Alternatively, you can set up e-mail forwarding to your mailbox.org address
Google has already restricted the integration of calendars and contacts with third-party services, such as mailbox.org, in 2020 – from June 2022, this will now also affect Gmail inboxes.
No alternative: Certification by Google
Google requires third-party services to undergo extensive certification by an American service provider named by Google in order for their users to continue to be able to integrate Google mailboxes. In general, we welcome the fact that Google is raising its security standards in order to minimise dubious offers and abuse. However, Google is using its market power to make it impossible for reputable and privacy-conscious third-party services to comply with this certification. We are not willing to give Google or other US companies access to our infrastructure in the course of the certification. We already explained this in detail in 2020.
So if you currently have a Gmail mailbox integrated in the mailbox.org webmailer, this will unfortunately no longer work as usual from June 2022. Since the use of two parallel email accounts is impractical for many customers, we have two suggestions for you to solve this problem.
Option 1: Temporary forwarding
If you use a Gmail account, then you can set up an automatic forwarding from Gmail to your mailbox.org address. If this is an option for you, then you can find instructions here:
- Set up Gmail forwarding: Automatically forward Gmail messages to another e-mail account →
- Automatically store e-mails from Gmail in a separate folder at mailbox.org. If you do not want to have the e-mails from your Gmail inbox directly in your mailbox.org inbox, then you can set up a filter rule for this.
- Go to Settings > E-mail > Filter Rules > Add New Rule
- Assign a unique name
- Add the "From" condition with the Gmail address. Preferably with the endings @gmail.com and @googlemail.com.
- Select "Apply rule if any condition is met" above the conditions.
- Select the action "Save as" and the desired folder. You can also conveniently create a new folder here.
- Click on "Save
Henceforth, the e-mails from the selected sender address are moved directly to the desired folder.
Option 2: Say goodbye to Google
Perhaps this is the opportunity to make your move to mailbox.org complete. If you've been afraid of the hassle, why not take advantage of our free moving service for your emails, calendars and contacts.
Move away from Gmail to mailbox.org: step-by-step ->
Learn more about our move service →
Your mailbox.org team